才、就

才、就

Subject + Time + 才+ Verb + Object

= “as late as”, “not until”. It expresses anxiety, impatience, or anger.

我等了两个小时买到票。
I had waited two hours before I bought the ticket.

你怎么现在回来?
Why did you come back so late? (How come you didn’t come back until now?)

我十二点睡觉。
I went to bed as late as 12 o’clock.

这只猫三岁来我家。
This cat didn’t come to my home until it was three.

Subject + 这么/那么 + 晚 + 才+ Verb + Object

= “so late”.

你怎么这么晚才回来?
Why did you come back so late?

我那么晚睡觉,我很困。
I went to bed so late. I’m sleepy.

Subject + 才 + (verb) + Num. + Measure Word + Noun

= to emphasize that a number is small, or less than expected.

这个办公室五个人。(这个办公室才有五个人。)
This office only has five people.

Subject + Time + 就 + Verb + Object

= “as early as”. To express surprise, unexpectedness.

你们怎么四点下班了?
Why are you guys leaving work at 4pm?

我十五岁上大学了。
I went to college when I was only fifteen.

Subject + 这么/那么 + 早 + 就 + Verb + Object

= “so early”.

你们这么早就下班了?
Why are you guys leaving work so early?

那么早就睡了,我不困。
I went to bed so early. I’m not sleepy.

Subject + 就 + (只 + 有/是/能) + Object

= “only have”, “just (one)”.

这件事就只有我一个人知道。(这件事我一个人知道。)
I’m the only person who knows about this.

房间里就只有一张桌子。(房间里一张桌子)
There’s only one bed and one table in the room.

Subject + 就/就是 + Verb

= “just”, to emphasize.

就是喜欢她。
I just like her. (Without any reason)

我就不说。
I just don’t say. (Don’t want to say)

Note, stressing different word transmits different meaning.

  • 就是:我就是喜欢她。
    I just like her. (Without any reason)

  • 喜欢:我就是喜欢她。(=我只是喜欢她)
    I only like her. (I don’t love her deeply)

  • 她:我就是喜欢。(=我只喜欢)
    I like only her. (I don’t like anyone else)

想 + Verb + 就 + Verb

= “Whenever I want to do something, I do it”.

你想来就来。
If you want to come, then come.

你想吃什么就吃什么。
Eat whatever you want.

要 + Verb + 就 + Verb

= “If you want to do something, then go ahead”.

要学就学。
If you want to study, then go ahead.

你要做就做,不要问我。
If you want to do it, then just do it. Don’t ask me.

V./Adj. + 就 + V./Adj.

= “if you want to do it, then just do it!”, the speaker has an “I don’t care” attitude.

去就去。
If you want me to go, I will go.

她不高兴就不高兴,又不是我的错。
If she’s unhappy, she’s unhappy. It’s not my fault.

就要...了

= about to…; nearly….

就要下课了。
The class is about to finish.

就要十点了。
It is nearly 10 o’clock.

More Examples

A: 你怎么才来?Why didn’t you arrive until now? B: 我八点就出门了,路上堵(dǔ)车我也没办法。I left at eight, but there was a traffic jam. I couldn’t help it.


Found an issue? Report here.

Composed by g2384 | Last modified on December 11, 2021